Many plants contain chemical compounds that can provide a natural treatment for depression. Most medications, including antidepressants and anxiety drugs, are ultimately derived from chemicals found in plants. Like SSRIs, benzodiazepines, and other medications for mood disorders, many natural herbs contain compounds that are active in the brain. Herbal teas and remedies for these plants can be very helpful for depression treatment, especially for milder forms were the side effects of antidepressants may outweigh their benefits.
We developed our BRIGHT herbal tea program to help provide natural treatment for depression. We’ve combined the very best herbal remedies for depression, anxiety, and other common mood disorders, creating customized herbal tea recipes that will help you feel calm, confident, and positive, reducing symptoms of depression.
X Effective Options for Natural Depression Treatment
There are many alternatives to antidepressant medications for natural depression treatment. This often includes CBT and other forms of psychotherapy, along with other therapeutic options like meditation and yoga. Along with behavioral and psychological therapies, you can also try these natural herbs and vitamin supplements as part of your treatment for depression.
- St. John’s Wort. St. John’s Wort is a potent herbal antidepressant, with similar effects to SSRI medications. Especially for relatively mild forms of depression, St. John’s Wort is a safe option for depression treatment with a low risk of unwanted side effects.
- Passionflower. Passionflower has calming and mood-boosting effects when incorporated into herbal teas. It helps soothe depression and anxiety symptoms, as well as promoting restful sleep and reducing depression-related insomnia symptoms.
- Valerian root. Valerian root is a powerful herbal remedy for insomnia, anxiety, and depression symptoms. Herbal teas and supplements containing valerian bind to receptors in the brain, leading to a calm and sedated mood.
- Lemon balm. Lemon balm has anxiolytic effects that can help reduce depression symptoms, especially insomnia. Its aromatic essential oil is also popular for aromatherapy.
- Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are a nutrient that the brain needs in order to function. It’s found in many food sources, including fish and olive oil. These “healthy fats” help your brain produce the compounds and neurotransmitters it needs to regulate your mood correctly, and low omega-3 levels have been linked to depression.
- Zinc. Mild zinc deficiency has been linked to depression symptoms, and studies suggest that zinc supplementation may help people manage the disorder. Vegetarians and vegans are often at risk for zinc deficiency, although diets heavy in processed food are also low in zinc.
- B vitamins. B vitamins, especially vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, are important for the brain’s ability to produce serotonin, a key neurotransmitter for mood regulation. B vitamin deficiencies may worsen the symptoms of depression, especially B12 deficiencies, and supplemental intake may help improve your mood.
BRIGHT: A Natural Treatment for Depression
Our BRIGHT herbal tea program provides a natural alternative treatment for depression, using the power of 100% natural herbs and spices to promote mood regulation. We’ve created customized blends of the most effective herbs for anxiety and depression treatment, creating flavorful and aromatic herbal teas that can help reduce your symptoms. Visit our store to try BRIGHT today.